Friday, October 10, 2014

Forgiving Is For You....

And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. - Matthew 6:12


Forgive...simple to say, easy to remember.   It is only two syllables and combines two words (for and give). Most assuredly, any three year-old could win a pre-K spelling bee with it.  It's not a complicated word at all! But ain't it funny, how such an uncomplicated word can become very complicated when put into practice?  

Yes indeed, this is the crossroads that most of us find ourselves.  Trying to let go of the bad things, bad people or bad experiences that have happened to us, yet not finding it easy to do. Most times, we hold on to those toxic situations through grudges, thinking we are justified with our actions.  And grudges aren't just outward expressions, either.  9 times out of 10, they are the things we carry in our hearts...not a good thing.

Society has a great way of telling us that it's okay to "get even" and so will folks around you. I have fallen into that trap the majority of my life. I knew, (as I stated earlier) that I WAS JUSTIFIED. "Didn't they hurt me?"  However, God began to open my Spiritual eyes (yes your spirit has eyes) and I saw how toxic UNforgiveness can be.  It had spread like a virus, from one area of my life to the next.

It turned into bitterness, envy, jealousy, rage, depression, guilt, pride and sickness (mentally and physically).  As soon as I became aware of the issue, I started to dig into my life.  I started to pin-point the original offenses and ask God to HELP me to forgive and let it GO.  I knew that if I didn't change my mind about those things, I would live an unhappy, unfulfilled life.  And that is never God's plan for us.  

Is it easy?  Sometimes it isn't! Let's be real, even Peter asked this question...  21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Matthew 18:21-22  BUT Jesus, our Lord and Savior said to forgive and that we can (& should) do it.  After all, if He died for me and has freely forgiven me..how much more should I forgive?

Here's what I've learned:
  1. Forgiving is a process.  You may not feel it in your emotions, initially. However over time, the pain of the offense will no longer be painful.  Be patient with yourself.  Don't fight the process, flow with it because it will hurt. Trust that the pain will bring a greater reward very soon.
  2. Forgiving is a gift to YOU.  There is no greater way to move forward with your life than to simply, LET IT GO.  It is freeing and brings about a change of perspective about everything!  It also unclogs your blessings in Life & Love..it removes the physical and spiritual block.  Your body will start to heal again (releasing the stress).  You'll start to love again and be open to life!  


Others that have been through the process may have more to contribute, but this is where I am.   In Life and Love, things can (and will) happen that may have cut to the core of your spirit, mind, body AND soul.  Situations can tear you apart, IF you allow them.  Stop giving unforgiveness power over your life.  There is so much more awaiting us. So many relationships, opportunities, joys, hopes..make the choice and save your life.  

God is waiting for your decision..Trust Him today.


 "...You must not be bitter. Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. It doesn't do anything to the object of its displeasure...." - Maya Angelou



No comments:

Post a Comment